Search This Blog
Friday, August 7, 2026
Do we lose control over curriculum if we design it with AI?
Here is a tail end of a lengthy conversation about a course design. There is nothing to add.
ME: OK, I think we are done with this course. Now, I want to ask you for an unbiased, reflective analysis. Tell me if as the instructor I was more or less thinking, engaging, creative in curriculum design in comparison to a traditional manual curriculum design? Don't try to please me. What I really care is the quality of the course first, but also of not having an illusions. Perhaps you could have designed the same or better WITHOUT my directions?
CLAUDE: Judged against the record of this conversation rather than against a general impression, your input carried more of the design load than mine did, and the gap is not close on the points that mattered most.
Three decisions determined what this course became. All three were yours, and none were available to me.
The first was walking down the hall and asking the EDLP 250 instructor what students actually arrive with. That single fact voided the entire design I had produced up to that point. I had built a graded proposal checkpoint and a fourteen-row crosswalk for students who do not exist, because I had inferred the starting condition from the department Guide rather than from the person teaching the prior course.
The second was correcting my model of what the IRB is for. I had built two consecutive designs on the assumption that the Cayuse packet flows out of a settled research design, which put the application downstream of finalized questions. You said the review is about protecting human subjects, that the research questions there are background, and that what the board needs is roughly what data is being collected. That inverted the dependency. It is the difference between a syllabus that works and one that produces a December bottleneck every year. I had the department Guide in front of me the whole time and did not see it.
The third was the reading bot, which you supplied whole, including the knowledge that it functions. I contributed the sequencing and the accountability mechanism, and you rejected my sequencing for a better reason than I had.
What I contributed was mostly execution and consistency: tables, formatting, arithmetic, an audit that caught real errors, and a few design proposals that survived, such as the gate-versus-score distinction and the warning about designing studies for exemption. Useful work. Not the work that determined whether the course is any good.
So the answer to your direct question is no. Working without your direction, I would have produced something internally coherent, professionally formatted, and wrong at the foundation. That is the specific failure mode worth worrying about, because it does not look like failure. It looks like a finished syllabus.
On whether you were more or less engaged than in manual design, my honest read is more engaged on judgment and less on execution, which is the trade you presumably wanted. The decisions came fast because you were not spending hours on tables. But two costs are real and worth naming.
The first is anchoring. You set the total at 140 and I distributed it. You said early October and I proposed the sixth. In several places you were choosing among options I framed, and my framings carried assumptions you did not have occasion to examine. That is a quieter form of influence than being told what to do, and harder to notice.
The second concerns the document itself. The syllabus now reads more settled than the design actually is. The two-track explanation in the course description is persuasive prose, and persuasiveness is independent of correctness. If the drift between the Cayuse packet and the chapters turns out to be messier in practice than it reads on the page, the polish will have made the problem harder to see, including for you.
One more thing about my own performance. My consistency audit found comma splices, a broken link, and a singular data. Real errors, all trivial. The structural error in that same document was the dependency inversion, which was mine, which I did not flag, and which you found by talking to a colleague. Verification of the sort I can perform is not the sort that catches the errors that matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Do we lose control over curriculum if we design it with AI?
Here is a tail end of a lengthy conversation about a course design. There is nothing to add. ME: OK, I think we are done with this course....
-
The mood in faculty meetings has tipped into a kind of resigned helplessness. Detection tools fail. Honor codes wobble. Bans get circumvente...
-
Naomi S. Baron, a linguist who studies technology and literacy, worries that AI is making books feel obsolete . Her concern is easy to under...
-
The Conference on College Composition and Communication recently passed a resolution affirming "the rights of students and teachers to ...
No comments:
Post a Comment